Advising FAQ

Do I need to take any courses in Ancient Greek and Latin for my degree?

Courses in Ancient Greek and Latin are mandatory for all degrees in Classics and for the Specialized Honours BA degree in Classical Studies. For all other degrees in Classical Studies, language courses are optional. Students taking a Classical Studies degree are encouraged, however, to make Ancient Greek and/or Latin a component of their Classical Studies degree program especially if they are even mildly contemplating graduate studies in Classics or Ancient History.

How can I select Classics or Classical Studies as my major or minor or change my major or minor to Classics or Classical Studies?

For assistance in selecting your major, you may set up an advising appointment with the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies Academic Advising Centre York University or you can change your major or minor or add a major or minor online at this location.

What introductory courses should I take to begin study toward a degree in Classics?

Students will normally enter the degree programs in Classics by enrolling in AP/GK 1000 6.0 and/or AP/LA 1000 6.0 in the Department of Languages, Literatures & Linguistics. This requirement may be waived for students who have had previous instruction in these languages and who successfully pass a placement test; in this case the student will enter the degree programs in Classics by enrolling in a 2000 level course in Latin and/or Greek.

What introductory courses should I take to begin study toward a degree in Classical Studies?

Students will normally enter the degree programs in Classical Studies by taking AP/HUMA 1100 9.0, AP/HUMA 1105 9.0, or AP/HUMA 1115 9.0 (Note: only six credits of these courses will count towards the Classical Studies major) and/or AP/HIST 2100 6.0 and/or AP/LA 1000 6.0 or AP/GK 1000 6.0.

Where can I find Classics and Classical Studies Checklists and my Degree Progress Report?

Checklists for all degree programs in the Program in Classical Studies can be found on the Classical Studies website (see Degree Checklists). You can access your Degree Progress Report online at My Degree Progress (please note, if you are a double major or major/minor, you cannot use this report at the moment).

How can I meet with someone in the Program in Classical Studies for advising?

Advising within the Program in Classical Studies is handled by the Coordinator. Drop-in Advising Dates and Times are listed on the homepage of the Program in Classical Studies (Please bring your completed check list and your Degree Progress Report or a list of your completed courses to your advising appointment.)

What is my responsibility regarding advising and monitoring my own degree progress?

It is expected that students will monitor and track their own progress through their degrees and make themselves aware of all requirements and policies. The Coordinator and advisors in the LA & PS office are here to advise you on the various options from which you may choose.

Where is the advising centre for the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies located and how can I contact them?

Centre for Student Success Academic Advising Office
103 Central Square
Tel: 416-736-5222
Fax: 416-736-5294
Hours: 8:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m. (Monday to Thursday) and 10:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. (Friday)
To Book Appointment: Academic Advising Services

How do I calculate my Grade Point Average (GPA)?

The York GPA calculator can be found at Student Resources - GPA Calculator. At the bottom of this page you can also find a Reverse GPA Calculator to help you calculate the grades required in a future session to attain a specific GPA.

What are the procedures to follow if I would like a grade reappraised in one of the courses I am taking for my degree?

You should first consult the TA or Course Director in your course. If you would still like to speak to someone about your grade, you should visit the home department that offers the course (for example, the home department for HUMA courses is Humanities; the home department for HIST courses is History; the home department for LA 1000 and GK 1000 is DLLL; the home department for LA 2000, GK 2000, and 3000-level and 4000-level Ancient Greek and Latin courses is Humanities). If you are appealing a final grade, you should be alert to the deadline for filing your appeal.

Where do I find information about York Academic Honesty Policies?

The Senate Policy on Academic Honesty can be found here. For information about issues involving academic integrity and plagiarism, you may see also here.

Where can I find the York Student Code of Conduct?

The Student Code of Conduct is available here.

Where at York can I get extra help with developing my academic research and writing skills?

York has a number of resources that can help you in these areas. You can visit the Centre for Academic Writing in S329 Ross Building (416-736-5134).

The Centre also has a website (with useful links) that you can consult: E-tutor will also comment on essay drafts. You can also visit the website called Academic Success Resources.

How to I go about arranging to take a Directed Reading Greek or Latin language course at the 4000 level?

4000-level Individualized Reading Courses in Classical Greek and Latin (half courses or full courses) are only offered under special circumstances and by agreement among a faculty member, the Program in Classical Studies, and the student. Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies regulations pertaining to Independent Reading courses apply. For information about directed reading courses, see the Application Form.

Reading courses should be initiated by students. Before being allowed to take such courses, students should have completed the 3000-level language courses or the 4000-level language courses in their area of study within the Program. The student will present the plan for the course to the faculty member (the "supervisor") who has agreed to direct the student.

The faculty member will approve the course of study and sign the form. The student will then bring the form for final approval to the Coordinator of the Program in Classical Studies (this final approval must be secured before gaining entry to such courses). After approval by the Coordinator, the student should then take the completed and signed form to the Undergraduate Programs Coordinator in the Department of Humanities (Vanier College 203) for processing. Relevant sessional dates apply.

Can I study abroad as part of my Classics or Classical Studies degree?

The Program in Classical Studies encourages students to deepen their knowledge of the worlds of Greece and Rome through study abroad. York International has information about study abroad, and information about summer archaeological digs is passed on to students by the Coordinator throughout the year.

Please also review the LA&PS International website for faculty specific information.

Am I permitted to take courses outside York that I can apply to my Classics or Classical Studies degree at York?

Yes. This is done either by Letter of Permission (if you wish to take a course elsewhere) or through York International (if you wish to study elsewhere for a term or a year). For requests to take a course elsewhere students should be in good standing (GPA 4.0).

You should consult the Coordinator of the Program in Classical Studies for permission (please bring information in paper form about the course you wish to take outside York). It is best to secure permission first before enrolling at the other university. Please allow sufficient time for consideration of your request. Make sure that you have included on the Letter of Permission (LOP) form itself:

  • Your e-mail address
  • Your current York faculty
  • Your major at York
  • The session requested (e.g., Summer 2013)
  • The full name of and location information for your host institution

Make sure that you have included with your Letter of Permission Request a brief written statement that gives the following information:

  • The precise dates of the session (beginning and end)
  • How many classroom hours exactly the course involves
  • How many weeks of study the course involves
  • A detailed curriculum or course of study (including syllabus, if possible; textbook used; material covered and evaluation)
  • How many credits you are requesting
  • Why you wish to take this course elsewhere and not at York University

If you wish to study at another university for a term or more, you should contact York International.

If I attend an accredited archaeological field school in the summer, can I get York course credit to apply towards my degree?

Yes. You need to provide the Registrar's Office with the appropriate information on the Letter of Permission form. On the form, fill out the course and curriculum information for your chosen field school (which should be sponsored by an accredited university or academic institution).

The next step is to secure permission for your work at the field school to count towards your degree from the Coordinator of Classical Studies, who will determine the number of credits you can earn for the course (6 or 3) and at what level. Your completed Letter of Permission form can be dropped off at the Bennett Centre. The Registrar's Office will confirm receipt of your form.

After your return from your field school, make sure to send your final official field school transcript to the Registrar's Office, which will contain a record of the grade you received (there is a deadline by which you should do this). The Registrar's Office should confirm receipt of your transcript and the credits you have received.

It is important to complete your Letter of Permission before you head off to the field school. Otherwise you will have to secure permission after the fact by means of the petitions process, which is time-consuming and more difficult. Also make sure you get your transcript to the Registrar's Office on time.

Are there any prizes offered to students majoring in either Classics or Classical Studies at York?

Students in Classical Studies are eligible for many awards in the University and the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies, including the Classics Award, which is presented annually to the most promising student in Greek or Latin. In addition the Vanier College Convocation Prize is given annually to the graduating student in Classics or Classical Studies with the highest academic standing.

Promising students should consider applying for the Harry C. Maynard Scholarship in Classical Studies or the Harry C. Maynard Scholarship for Study in Classical Studies Abroad administered by the Ontario Classical Association. For details, consult its website under Scholarships ( The deadline for applications is usually late October.

Students applying for entry to any MA program in Classics, Ancient History or Ancient Philosophy in Canada may apply for the Desmond Conacher Scholarship, administered by the Classical Association of Canada (CAC). For details, see the CAC website. Applicants must be Canadian students (citizens or permanent residents) intending to enter the first year of graduate studies in a classics or similar program at a Canadian university. Applicants must be less than 28 years of age on January 1st of the year of application. The main criteria are academic achievement, professional promise, and an appropriate undergraduate preparation.

Are there any Classical Studies student clubs or associations at York that I can join?

The York University Classical Studies Students Association (YUCSSA) is open to all majors and minors in Classics and Classical Studies at York and to any student at York with an interest in and enthusiasm for the ancient world. For information about this student association and its activities, see the organization's website.

Where can I find general information about faculty requirements?

What are the General Education Requirements for students who enrolled in Fall 2014 and after?

All LA&PS students will be required to take a minimum of 21 General Education credits from the approved list of LA&PS General Education courses.

To fulfill the Liberal Arts & Professional Studies General Education requirements students must take 21 credits of general education including:

  • 6.00 credits in Natural Science (NATS)
  • a 9.00 credit approved general education course in the social science or humanities categories
  • and a 6.00 credit approved general education course in the opposite category to the 9.00 credit course in social science or humanities already taken.

After my undergraduate studies in Classics or Classical Studies, can I get an MA or PhD in Classical Studies at York?

The Graduate Program in History at York offers Ancient History as one of its major fields of concentration at the MA and PhD levels (see For more details, contact the Program Assistant, Graduate Program in History, 2172 Vari Hall, 416-736-5127.

The Graduate Program in Humanities at York welcomes students with interests in Classical topics (see website). For more details, contact the Graduate Program Assistant, Department of Humanities, 215 Vanier College, 416-736-2100 ext. 77400.

We would like to emphasize very strongly that to enter any graduate program in Classical Studies (for an MA or PhD), students need considerable exposure to the ancient languages, Ancient Greek and Latin: ideally four years of Latin and four of Greek.

If I am not a continuing York student or have already graduated from York or another university, can I take non-degree courses in Classics or Classical Studies at York?

Yes. For information for Visiting and Non-degree Students, see here.